When choosing plywood for cabinets it is important to select one that fits the need. There are many types of plywood suited for building cabinets. In the case of kitchen cabinets and bathroom cabinets, BWR (Boiling Water Resistant) plywood is a good choice.
What Kind of Plywood for Cabinets?
Commercial Moisture Resistant Plywood
Commercial (Moisture Resistant) or MR grade plywood is able to resist low levels of moisture exposure. It is safe to use for cabinets that are not near sinks or faucets in the kitchen. Of all the plywood, it is the cheapest.
MR grade is moisture resistant plywood. It is interior grade plywood constructed for interior use.
This plywood is not waterproof. MR grade means that the plywood can withstand moisture and humidity without getting damage.
BWR (Boiling Water Resistant) Plywood
BWR (Boiling Water Resistant) plywood resist high levels of water exposure. It’s best to use this kind of plywood in kitchens where the cabinets are near to taps and sinks.
BWR grade plywood (Boiling Water resistant) is exterior grade plywood. This type of plywood comprises phenolic synthetic resins (plastic resins) and is waterproof. Thus, it’s a great choice for making cabinets in the kitchen or bathroom.
Tips For Choosing Plywood For Cabinets
1. Resistant To Moisture
Humidity and moisture are present in any kitchen. Thus, the durability of your kitchen cabinets is essential for their longevity.
2. Pest Resistant
Another thing to consider when buying plywood for cabinets is that they are termite and borer resistant. Look for plywood treated with preservatives that protect against infestation.
Again, durability plays an important role in how long your cabinets will last.
How well can your plywood hold nails or screws? The holding capacity of your plywood plays an important role in the endurance and storage capacity of your cabinets. Plywood made from high-quality hardwood ensures a superior nail-holding capacity.
5. Fire Retardant
Heat is present in most kitchens. To reduce the risk of accidental fires, ask your supplier about fire retardant plywood.
6. Easy To Customize
Choose plywood that’s easy to customize. Durable and resistant plywood need not be heavy and difficult to paint or stain.
- Gupta, R. C. and B. S. Bist. The comparative study of strength properties of plywood (BWR grade) in dry and wet condition. 1980. 2 12 2019. https://cabdirect.org/cabdirect/abstract/19840688498.
- Columbia Forest Products. Choosing the Best Birch Plywood for Cabinets. 2 12 2019. https://www.columbiaforestproducts.com/2018/04/10/choosing-best-birch-plywood-cabinets/
- Kody Horvey. Different types of Plywood and their uses. 2 12 2019. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQKhhNSvx0g
- Hrázský, Jaroslav and Pavel Král. “Analysis of the shape stability of water-resistant plywoods.” Acta Universitatis Agriculturae et Silviculturae Mendelianae Brunensis 58.1 (2010): 61-70. 2 12 2019. <https://acta.mendelu.cz/media/pdf/actaun_2010058010061.pdf>.
- Tora, Silas, Eva Haviarova and Daniel L. Cassens. “Performance of stock kitchen cabinets and laboratory-produced cabinets based on joint tests.” Forest Products Journal 56 (2006): 51-54. 2 12 2019. http://refdoc-info.inist.fr/c4/refdoc.html?cpsidt=18396315.