The number of fruits on this citrus fruits list may surprise you. However, these are the main types of citrus fruits: Pomelo, Citron, Mandarin, and Papeda. All others are hybrids/mixtures of the above.
The pomelo fruit is delicious. Pomelos taste like a grapefruit however it does not have the bitterness or sour flavor that a grapefruit has.
Citron piths are sweet however the flesh has a bitter or sour taste. Most times, the pith can be eaten as is or cooked in sugar to be eaten as a desert.
The mandarin or mandarine is a small citrus tree that produces fruit that looks like other oranges. Mandarin oranges are usually eaten plain or in fruit salads.
Papedas are round fruit with a thick, bumpy skin that may be yellow or green in color. It is not usually eaten as the fruit and juice is not pleasant to taste.
An orange is a cross between a mandarin and a pomelo. Oranges are sweet to taste and can be eaten as is once ripe. They are, as the name suggests, orange is color.
While there are several lemon varieties, most are known to contain high levels of vitamin C, soluble fiber, and plant compounds that give them a number of other health benefits.
The tangerine is a hybrid of the mandarin orange. Oranges are also citrus fruits but they are much bigger than Tangerines. These types of citrus fruits are packed with antioxidants and vitamin A and C.
Limes can have a citrus fruits list of their own as they are so many different types of limes. For example, Key lime, kaffir lime, and Persian lime.
Limes and lemons belong to the same family, but the lime is smaller than the lemon. Lemons, scientifically known as Citrus limon, originate from limes, Citrus aurantifolia.
Grapefruits are a type of citrus fruit with a flavor that can range from bittersweet to sour. It is a cross between a sweet orange and a pomelo. Like other fruits on this list, it contains a range of essential vitamins and minerals.
Rounding out our list of the different types of citrus fruits is the tangelo. It is a cross between a mandarin orange or tangerine and a pomelo or grapefruit.
- List of citrus fruits – Wikipedia – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_citrus_fruits
- There are only four original citrus species (pomelo, citron, mandarin, and papeda). All others (lemon, lime, grapefruit, etc.) are hybrids. – Reddit – https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/5qqvhl/til_there_are_only_four_original_citrus_species/
- What Does a Pomelo Fruit Taste Like? | Delishably –https://delishably.com/fruits/What-Does-a-Pomelo-Fruit-Taste-Like
- What Are Citrons Good For? – Food Facts – Dr. Mercola – https://foodfacts.mercola.com/citron.html
- Types of Lemons – Explanation + Visual Guide – https://collegiannews.com/types-of-lemons/511187/
- mandarins – University of Arizona CALS – https://cals.arizona.edu/fps/sites/cals.arizona.edu.fps/files/cotw/Mandarin.pdf
- Papeda Citrus Trees: Learn About Various Types Of Papeda – https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/citrus/papeda-citrus-trees.htm
- The History of Citrus: You Crossed a What with a What?! – https://blog.apeelsciences.com/the-history-of-citrus-you-crossed-a-what-with-a-what
- 6 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Lemons – Healthline – https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/6-lemon-health-benefits
- 5 Good Reasons to Eat More Fresh Tangerines – Citrus.com – https://www.citrus.com/blog/5-good-reasons-to-eat-more-fresh-tangerines/
- Lemons vs. Limes: What’s the Difference? – Healthline – https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/lime-vs-lemon